The files below contain previous, now outdated versions of the SERF Index. They are provided here for the convenience of researchers who my be currently using these older versions of the data.
News and Events
Food Security in South Africa: Human Rights and Entitlements Perspectives (Sakiko Fukuda-Parr and Viviene Taylor eds.) has just been published by Capetown University press (Capetown University Press, 2016).
A proposal for resolving a conflict between setting universal goals and country specific benchmarks for post-2015 Sustainable Development Goals. Sakiko Fukuda-Parr and Susan Randolph propose a methodology for setting nationally specific benchmarks taking account of levels of development using the Achievement Possibilities Frontier:
South Africa leads the world in the development of legal provisions for economic and social rights yet SERF scores show mediocre performance in fulfilling the right to food. To examine this paradox, a seminar on the Right to Food and the role of economic and social policy was held at the University of Cape Town on May 30-31, 2012. Speakers and participants included leading researchers, jurists, parliamentarians and members of the National Human Rights Commission and the National Development Commission. Select documents are available here:
- Battersby, Jane. "Urban Food Security" (PDF)
- Cousins, Ben. "Agricultural Policy and the Right to Food in South Africa" (PDF)
- Fukuda-Parr, Sakiko. "The Right to Food in South Africa" (PDF)
- Fukuda-Parr, Sakiko. "The Right to Food: The Role of Economic and Social Policy" (PDF)
- Hertel, Shareen. "Social Movements and the Politics of Right to Food Campaigns" (PDF)
- Jacobs, Peter. "Who and where are the food insecure rural households?" (PDF)
- Langba, John. "Food Security in South Africa" (PDF)
- May, Julia. "Inequities in Under-Five Child Nutritional Status in South Africa" (PDF)
- Nyembezi, Nkosikhulule. "Politics of the Right to Food" (PDF)
- Randolph, Susan. "The Right to Food: A Global Overview" (PDF)
- Randolph, Susan. "The Right to Food" (PPT)
- Taylor, Viviene. "Social Policies and Food Security in South Africa" (PPT)
Find out which countries have progressed and which have regressed in meeting the commitments to fulfill economic and social rights in the newly released SERF Index Historical Trends 1970-2010.
The Third Annual Meeting of Metrics for Human Rights and Development was recently held in Madrid, Spain. Human rights and development practitioners took stock of the progress made and the challenges faced in monitoring economic and social rights.